1. Double check all items for perfection. Look for missing buttons or belts and if you really love it, ask the cashier to give you an additional percentage off. Once you get it home, you can reinvent it with your own style!
2. Shop out of season for items that will not go out of style, like your CORE wardrobe pieces (jeans, slacks, blazer/cropped leather jacket, button-up shirt, pencil skirt (for women;)).
3. Check for the quality of sewing. Is the threading about to unravel?
4. The size you buy can fluctuate within at least 4 sizes. For example, if you usually wear a size 8, you may find that you can also wear a 6 or 10 depending on the brand. If it looks great and you can breathe in it, go with it.
5. Make a list and stick to it. Without a list you will get distracted and purchase things you don’t need.
PS. Most likely the racks will be a complete disaster and you may find yourself overwhelmed, but don’t give up. The short term hard work will contribute to a long term payoff: the perfect wardrobe at a better price!
Once you learn what to look for and what looks great on you, it will become much easier. When shopping for my clients, I can walk into any store, glance over the racks, pull items, and have at least 15 items in the dressing room in less than 10 minutes. Stores such as Loehmann’s, Nordstrom Rack, T.J. Maxx, and Marshalls are my favorite discount stores. However, on Black Friday Weekend EVERYWHERE has great sales. I’m going to Bloomingsdales first!